Have tried two different lemon cupcakes recipes. However, still searching for the ultimate soft and zesty cupcake.
It was definitely moist and flavour profile was good. However, found that the first batch collapsed . Added some baking soda – second batch was better – but both were peeling away from the cupcakes. Not sure what went wrong – maybe it also had to do with the crazy hot humid day -not conducive to baking
Putting the cream cheese – made the cupcakes very heavy and dense. They were ok – the lemon curd was good.
- 2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80g) chilled unsalted butter
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
Whisk whole eggs, yolks and sugar in a saucepan until smooth, then place pan over a low heat. Add the butter, juice and zest and whisk continuously until thickened. Strain through a sieve into a sterilised jar. Lemon curd keeps, covered, in the fridge for 2 weeks.
13/02/14: stirred for about 10mins
Makes 1.5 cups
Have had 3 attempts at making this. finally found a version that worked:
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons bicarb soda
Preparation:5min › Cook:10min › Ready in:15min
- Grease a 20 cm square cake tin or slice tray.
- In a large saucepan, heat the golden syrup and sugar together, bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes. I used a sugar thermometer and when it reached 150c stopped.
- Remove pot from heat and add the bicarb soda. Quickly mix it in because the mixture will foam up instantly. Pour immediately into the cake tin. Leave to set then break into bite size chunks.
I crushed some and sprinkled between layers of a chocolate cake and mixed it with the frosting. YUMMO